Thank you for your interest in the School of Music! For current application deadlines please see the California State University’s Application Dates & Deadlines.
If you have any specific questions about admission to the School of Music please contact the Director, Dr. Cyrus Ginwala, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The School of Music offers the following degree programs:
More information about which degree program is right for you can be found on our Degree Programs page.
- Review admission requirements for San Francisco State University
- Submit application through Cal State Apply
- Sign up for School of Music Auditions (not applicable for all degrees, see audition page for more information).
Current SFSU Students
If you are a current SFSU student who would like to change majors please make an appointment with Dr. Ginwala via Calendly.
If you are a current SFSU student who would like to declare Music as your minor please contact Dean Suzuki (email at both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org) and cc Dr. Ginwala (email@example.com).
- Review graduate admission requirements for SFSU
Apply to Division of Graduate Studies
Domestic Application Info
International Application Info
All application material will be submitted through the Cal State Apply Graduate Studies Application.
School of Music application requirements include:
- Undergraduate degree with a major in music, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3.0 grade point average in the last 60 units of undergraduate study.
The following materials should be submitted as part of the application:
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts of all college work
- Writing samples demonstrating graduate level, discipline-specific proficiency in music research
- Statement of purpose
Additional Materials for Music Education
- A written description of the nature and extent of teaching experience.
- Applicants must also provide evidence of at least two years of school music teaching and/or a valid teaching credential.
Additional Materials for Music History
- Representative examples of music research papers, such as those written for undergraduate music history classes.
Additional Materials for Composition
- A minimum of two representative scores and, if possible, recordings of recent musical compositions.
Audition Information for Classical Instrumental/Vocal Performance, or Chamber Music
- Auditions are completed in up to two rounds. Applicants will need to schedule a live audition before members of the Music faculty using the School of Music Audition Form. For applicants unable to travel to San Francisco, submit a high quality Vimeo video link as part of the application. The video should be 30-45 minutes in duration, demonstrating the student's current level of accomplishment. A repertoire list is also required, including an indication of those works on the list which have been performed in recital.
Emphasis in Orchestra or Wind Ensemble
Conducting Auditions are completed in two rounds. After video review, selected candidates may be invited for a live audition with the SF State Orchestra. Details will be forwarded when appropriate.
- First Round: A streaming video, posted on Vimeo, of a rehearsal or concert. Camera should show a front view of the conductor (camera placed at rear of ensemble) from a reasonable distance, and ideally demonstrate a varied selection of repertoire. Links can be submitted to Dr. Cyrus Ginwala (firstname.lastname@example.org) via email.
- Please include your name, a repertoire list (with timing numbers), and the performance date.