Who Should Audition?
- An audition is not required for entrance to the B.A. degree program in Jazz/World Music.
- An audition is required if you would like to be considered for the B.M. degree program in Jazz.
- An audition is required if you would like to be considered for two semesters of private lessons as part of the B.A. degree program in Jazz/World Music (Note: This audition can be taken anytime during your first 2 years in the BA program).
A Note About the Jazz Auditions
Once again, an audition is not required for entrance into the Jazz/World Music B.A. degree program. If you would like to join this B.A. degree program and are not familiar with the terms used for the audition requirements, this audition is probably not something for you to consider at the moment. If that is the case, please don’t worry: you will learn all about these terms and concepts and much more during your time at SF State! If you are not ready to audition now or at the time of admission, you can still do an audition for the B.M. program, or audition to get lessons as part of your B.A. program, after you have spent some time in our programs.
Jazz Audition Requirements Only
All instrumentalists should demonstrate major scales and arpeggios in four keys of your choice. Drum set players and vocalists should be able to demonstrate this on the piano.
All instrumentalists and vocalists (except drum set players) should play 2 standards or jazz tunes from the “Jazz Audition Tune List” below as well as a 12 bar blues. In each song, please play the melody and a chorus of improvised or transcribed solo.
Chordal Players (Keyboards and Guitar) should also demonstrate a chorus of “comping” for each of the songs.
Bass players should also demonstrate “walking bass” lines through at least one standard and the “blues” selection.
Drumset players should be able to demonstrate various “grooves” (ex: swing, bossa nova, rock, 3/4, funk, etc) at slow, medium and fast tempos, as well as playing over the form of at least one standard from the “Jazz Audition Tune List" below and one blues selection. Please prepare a chorus of the melody, a chorus of time, and a chorus of solo followed by an ending chorus of melody for the standard and the “blues”.
Jazz Audition Tune List
- There Is No Greater Love - B flat
- There Will Never Be Another You - E flat
- What Is This Thing Called Love - C
- On Green Dolphin Street - C or E flat
- I'll Remember April - G
- Autumn Leaves - B flat major
- Yesterdays - D minor
- Alone Together –D minor
- All the Things You Are - A flat
- How High The Moon - G
- Invitation - C minor
- Bye Bye Blackbird - F
- What's New - C
- Body and Soul - D flat
- Embraceable You - E flat
- Summertime It Could Happen To You - E flat
- Just Friends – F or B flat
- Lover Man – D minor
- If I Were a Bell – F
- Lover Come Back To Me – A flat
- Wave - D minor
- Trieste – B flat
- Theme From "Black Orpheus" - A minor
- Confirmation - F
- Nica's Dream - B flat
- Recordame - A minor
- Impressions/So What - D minor
- All Blues - G
- Joy Spring - F
- Moment's Notice Blue Bossa - C minor
- Up Jumped Spring - B flat
- Scrapple from the Apple - F
- Perdido - B flat
- Caravan - F minor
- Donna Lee - A flat
- Well You Needn't - F
- A Night in Tunisia - D minor
- I Mean You – F
- Yardbird Suite – C
- Woody n' You – D flat
- Watermelon Man – F
- Cantaloupe Island – F
- Stompin At The Savoy – D flat
- Take The A Train – C
- In a Mellow Tone – A flat
- Sonny – A minor
- Moose The Mooche
- Eternal Triangle
- Now's the Time
- Bag's Groove
- Mr PC
- Things Aint What They Used to Be
- Blues By 5
- Straight No Chaser
- Sonny Moon For Two